Handyfilm etc

Film reviews and other thoughts

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, New York, United States

Sunday, May 14, 2006

The New World

I loved The New World...it felt like floating in a dream for 2-1/2 hours. I could tell from scattered comments around us afterward that my admiration was not universally shared. We sat very close because it was so crowded, and the beautiful photography on the enormous screen just washed over and through me, along with the hypnotic music. I thought it was very beautiful. I believe a significant portion of the audience was bored to tears, but I was willing to go along with Terrence Malick wherever his odd poetic soul wanted to take me, just as I was with The Thin Red Line and Days of Heaven. It's not as good as those two, partly because of Colin Farrell, whose putative charisma escapes me. Christian Bale arrives later to save the day. The big flaws are Mr. Farrell [why cast him? why?] and some of the voiceovers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home